Sunday, November 18, 2007

One Crafty Mother


I have a lot of creative energy which can make it difficult for those who live with me. I usually have about twenty projects going at once: curtains to sew, a chair to paint, some photo project, etc...I have more ideas than time to follow through on them. It drives my husband and kids bananas.

A few years ago I decided to put this insatiable need to create towards a practical goal. I started doing craft fairs.

I don't like to talk about it because craft fairs conjure up images of crocheted toilet paper covers and "country kitchen" decor. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!) What I make is jewelry and Christmas ornaments.

I pick beautiful, sparkly supplies and will only sell what I think is tasteful and happy. When you pick up something I made, I want it to make you smile just because it's pretty.

So far I've only done a couple of shows a year because most of them have huge entry fees. Who knew? Some of the bigger craft fairs charge hundreds of dollars to rent booth space.

Yesterday I did a show at my own church. Though I don't get any breaks on the fees, I like to do it because it's comfortable. I know everybody, I know the space, everyone is pulling for me. It's fun.

As usual, the night before the show I asked myself what I had gotten myself into, why did I think this was a good idea and the perennial favorite: who's gonna buy my crap, anyway? But then Saturday morning the show got under way and as people strolled by and complimented me on my work (and actually bought some!) I relaxed and enjoyed myself.

Earlier this week, I considered giving it up and having a going-out-of-business sale. But the shiny beads beckoned, the ideas started to swirl and...well, hell...I need to do more shows! I'll have to see if I can do a couple more before the holidays.

No comments: