Monday, August 5, 2013

The Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant

When I was in High School, I participated in a protest against a nuclear power plant on Long Island. My memory of it is sketchy but I know we drove to a certain point where we parked and then boarded buses to the beach. Rumors swirled that celebrities might be there and though I don't remember for sure, that's probably what tipped my vote in favor of going out there.
I wasn't a particularly political teenager but a nuclear power plant on a long, skinny island that would be difficult to evacuate sounded like a bad idea. I remember crowds, not being able to hear what was going on and finally just checking out the guys. (No celebs.) 
I found you some facts and figures in case you're into that sort of thing. From Wikipedia: The plant was built between 1973 and 1984 but never operated. Most Long Islanders opposed it. In 1992, Shoreham became the first commercial nuclear power plant in the US to be dismantled.
The other day I found myself back out on that very beach. I knew the impotent* plant was a short walk away, so I headed down there just to have a look-see. Call me a tree-hugger, a misinformed liberal or a big, fat baby but that place gives me the creeps. 
  

If you're interested in learning more about this expensive bonehead idea power plant that never was, read here:
http://archive.longislandpress.com/2009/06/11/nuclear-waste-20-years-after-the-closure-of-the-shoreham-power-facility/

*I just totally humilated the plant. haha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually the plant was operational at minimum power at 5% for a short time. You should do a little more research.