Monday, June 25, 2012

Calgary to Baton Rouge to Houston to Lake LBJ to Houston to Long Island to Calgary *dizzy*











I recently got back from a trip that grew from a 5 day visit to Houston to almost an entire month all over the U.S. Believe me, I know how lucky I am to be able to take a trip like that- but this was hardly a vacation. The point of each leg of my journey was to be there for a family member.  

DATELINE: BATON ROUGE

I spent a week in Baton Rouge helping our son, Jamie (an LSU student), with various issues, including keeping his car on the road. When your kid lives in another country, it's in your best interest for him to have reliable transportation!

LSU has a beautiful campus there. For those of you keeping notes on my life, first of all- stop it! Secondly, yes, you're right. I used to work at the LSU library in Shreveport as Head of Circulation. Here's a pet peeve: whenever I mention that fact to my husband and/or sons, no one seems impressed. I'M impressed that anyone would trust me with all that responsibility. Anyway...


I got to see Jamie's apartment and meet his...let's say...SPIRITED dog, Herschel. I love Herschel, but one of his favorite things to do while I was there was to slowly walk up my seated body, playfully push me until he had me pinned on my back and then lick the hell out of my face. ha! He's a happy dog, but doesn't seem to understand that humans might not like that.


We decided to allow ourselves one day of fun, spending it in New Orleans. Woo-hoo! Our family has lots of great memories of New Orleans since we used to live only 2 hours away, including one where I walked around the French Quarter with my sister, Cathy, a 2-yr-old Jake and a gestating Jamie in my belly. Jamie couldn't care less. I mean, 21-yr-old Jamie couldn't care less about the story not, well, you get it.

I had a moment with this horse. And that was BEFORE...

...we went HERE:

This ain't your momma's slushy. Flavored daiquiris:


Not into daiquiris? Perhaps a beer:


Actually, we're both complete light weights coz this delicious daiquiri was passed between us as we walked down Bourbon Street but finally sat in my frig at the hotel for 3 days before I threw it out. 


After a week in this sad, lonely, extended-stay hotel room (with no car, might I add!)... 


...Jamie and Herschel picked me up and drove me to Houston to meet up with Greg.


To be continued...

6 comments:

tishlp said...

Herschel looks like the kind of dog that would be your best friend. :)

caryl said...

yeah, isn't he cute?

LindaS said...

that building behind the horse looks suspiciously like Cafe Du Monde .. and now I want their hicory coffee and beignets =(

LindaS said...

umm, that would be 'hickory' and make it a cafe au lait :D

Anonymous said...

Love the travelogue so far! More! (No pressure though, really. lol)


PFS

caryl said...

That's good to hear, PFS, since that was the boring part! It gets better.