Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Christian, the Lion, Reunion

You must have seen this by now. If not, you've got to see it. Here's the back story:

From: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/25797678/

"The video is the work of Anthony “Ace” Bourke and John Rendall, two Australians living in the hip Chelsea section of London in 1969. According to published reports, a friend came back from a trip to Harrods and told them that you could buy exotic animals there.

The two friends went there out of curiosity and spotted a 35-pound lion cub in a small cage. Bourke and Rendall felt sorry for the cub and bought it for 250 guineas. They named him Christian.

But after a year, the 35-pound cub had grown to 185 pounds. Feeding him was costing the friends 30 pounds a week, and in 1970, that was real money. They knew they couldn’t keep Christian, but didn’t know what to do with him.

Rendall and Bourke flew with Christian to Kenya, where they and George Adamson introduced the lion to his natural habitat. When they felt sure he had a new family and a safe territory, the two friends went back to their lives in London. But they kept in touch with Adamson and made a few visits to Kenya to see Christian from afar.

But in 1974, Adamson lost touch with Christian for three months. When he told Rendall and Bourke, they decided to make one last trip to Kenya to attempt to say goodbye to Christian. The night before they landed, Adamson said, Christian suddenly reappeared and sat on a rock outside the naturalist’s camp — as if waiting for his pals.

The main part of the film shown on YouTube was shot the following day, when Bourke and Rendall went into the bush to attempt to see their old friend.

Christian's former owners had been told the lion wouldn't recognize them. But the video shows the lion's obvious joy at being reunited with the two men."

And on a side note, this is how Henry (the dog --->)always greets me when I come down in the morning. Or when I return home from running errands. Or when I come out of the bathroom. Or when I walk out of the room for a minute and then come back in. Or...well, you get the idea.

Prepare to cry. This is very sweet:

3 comments:

Sierra Lita said...

I did cry when I watched this. I think animals are so much smarter than we realize. That is a beautiful story.

Unknown said...

That is so awesome! I love how cats are cats, no matter the size. If my cat was that tall, she would do the exact same thing. Instead, I pick her up and she manages pretty well - she throws her "arms" around my neck and rubs her head all over my head. Connecting with them is just the best.

Sierra Lita said...

Wow Jennifer, your cat sounds really affectionate! Mine are affectionate too but they hate it when I pick them up! LOL