Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year!

After this year, I understand that line, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." I took some hard blows in 2007, but also had some extraordinary experiences.

Though my mother-in-law technically died in 2006, it was in November and the period of mourning spilled over into '07. We had to deal with her house and all of her possessions. I hated, HATED going through her personal things. We took some mementos home, one of which was her dog, Keeper.

Months later Keeper would tear up my face in some confused attack, sending me to the emergency room. No stitches were needed and my face healed just fine, but the crazy dog that I actually loved had to be put to sleep.

Sparky, our dog and my beloved companion, had to be put to sleep as well just weeks earlier. You have to be a dog lover to understand, but when I looked into his eyes I saw something there. I saw love. It was hard to let him go.

Our oldest son, Jake, moved out suddenly just because he wanted to. He got in his car and drove 1800 miles away to share a house with friends. Three weeks later, two guys walked into their house with guns and demanded money. Jake's roommate was shot in the arm and Jake was hit over the head repeatedly with a gun. He's home now and safe, but still has nightmares about the incident.

In 2007, I was also unceremoniously dropped by my newspaper. Even though I'd been writing my column for seven years and had a following, I was told that they would only run it if they "needed to fill space." Ooooouch!! People still ask me what happened to my column. Idiot editor.

Interwoven throughout these horrible events were some of the most fun adventures I've ever had. I traveled all over the country and reconnected with some old, dear friends who LITERALLY had me rolling on the floor laughing and who reminded me that once upon a time I was fun.

I also made some great new friends who share with me an interest in the music of Taylor Hicks. We had some great times discussing the resurgence of soul music, whether or not an artist is a sell-out if he skews his sound toward pop music and ah...you know...other really deep thinkee type subjects that kinda hafta do with...you know, music. Um. Yeah, that's it. Music.

I actually got to meet Taylor Hicks. He put his arm around my waist and I put mine around his as we posed for a picture. (*giggle*) Could you die? Gimme a break, it made this sad woman happy at the time and then happy all over again every time I tell someone about it. Like now.

Well, anyhoo, I hope 2008 has more of the best of times and less of the worst. Actually, at this point I'd settle for lots of times that are somewhere in between.

2 comments:

Chicken And Waffles said...

It's all good. And going forward, it's all great. Here's to a promising new year ahead Caryl. I am so glad we became friends--in itself, a very great thing.

Celebrate, my friend!!

Sunny said...

Best Wishes for a better year in 2008 for you and yours. I don't know what it was about 2007 but it did me and my family no favors either.

Regarding your loss of the column, it's tough to hold onto any type of paying writing gig that's certain. I do love what you do on-line for free.

Take care.