Sunday, February 10, 2008

Music Monday

I'm disgusted! Yesterday I learned that Fergie is being paid to mention "Candies" in her LYRICS!

"The 32-year-old Black Eyed Peas singer is the first global star to consent to product placement in her songs - agreeing to include...Candie's in her lyrics... The musician born Stacy Ann Ferguson...is making history by blurring the lines between jingle and pop song.

Under the deal with Candie's, Fergie will be appearing in TV advertisements and also allowing Candie's 'style advisers' to dress up fans at her shows.

While Fergie was on tour last week, her advisers said such product placement marked the future of music.

'With record sales in decline, you must find novel ways to make money out of the music. The trick is to make the brand part of the song, so that it slips down easily rather than chokes the fan,' an executive at Interscope, Fergie's record company in Los Angeles, told the Sunday Times of London.

(From:http://www.nypost.com/seven/07032007/entertainment/music/shes_not_just_selling_out_concerts_music_mandy_stadtmiller.htm)

And:

"...I am not surprised to see her or her label taking the cash - the marketing of this artist has always been about cash and flash above any sense of musical quality...it's one thing for an artist to give a shout-out to their favorite brand(s) in a song and another, more distasteful thing for the artist to accept cash to ensure that a brand is mentioned in one or more songs they record...It's making the song a commercial in and of itself."
(From: http://appetitefordisruption.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/07/index.html)

So, Fergie is a freakin' millionaire because she's a good salesperson, not because she's a superior artist. She knows how to sell herself and her music. I have no respect for her and am sorry I posted one of her videos here a couple of months ago.

I didn't watch the Grammy Awards last night, because it's all meaningless. Aren't the Grammys based on how many albums an artist sells? None of it has anything to do with art. And consumers are told who to like. Yeah, you heard me. But let's save that rant for another day.

Grr!!! The more I learn about the music industry the more disgusted I become.

5 comments:

Kenzie Ryan said...

The Grammy's just less than 10 years ago were about the art side of music. The good music with heart, meaning, and a good beat to go a long with it. Now it's nothing. I attempted to watch it last night, but eventually switched over to Family Guy instead. I was beyond irritated when Fergie was performing with John Legend. John didn't even sing!!! She sucks, I don't like her, and never have.

I'm not surprised that music's future will now be "Sales" - literally- rather than what is behind every word sung. I think this is rediculous. I want to cry, because my generation is responsible for RUINING music. I mean, it will NEVER be the same again. (with the exception of a few amazing artists.)

caryl said...

I heart ya, Kenzie! After I posted this I thought, "no one will care". I'm so glad to hear that you turned the Grammys off. I'm feeling really proud of Taylor lately for having so much integrity.

Kenzie Ryan said...

I was thinking about it today while I was at work... it's just crazy. Music is life, not money.

I'm sure others feel differently. But music is something that I take VERY personal, you can ask anyone. If someone I don't like comes on the radio or I see them on tv, I freak out and change the station with a lot of force. And by force, I mean screaming, punching who/what ever is near me, and cussing up a storm. And then I rant about how much I dislike them. It actually might be really funny if someone were to catch it on video.

Some way or another though, I vow to make music real again. I've felt that way for a long time. Whether I make my voice public or not, crap like Fergie's "advertisement" just breaks real musicians' and real music lovers' hearts. And my belief grows a little bit stronger everytime I hear about it.

There are ARTISTS out there who never cease to amaze me. Why don't they get the credit they deserve?

People today would rather hear "Soulja Boy" than "Waiting On The World To Change" by John Mayer. And if you listen to Mayer's song his words are not just about the economy. He's talking about the people. What happened to the one's who used to fight for what they believe in? The one's who would sing to people in a way that they could understand? Why doesn't anyone follow their heart rather than their checkbook? "We keep waiting..." But no one is coming.

(sorry if i'm talking a lot... but i can't stop... lol)

caryl said...

Yes!! You go, girl!! Tell it!!

Julie said...

Look, Fergie is a joke. She started off as some friggin Disney singer, now she's pushing Candies. She puts on the 'alternative' costume cause it sells these days. That's all she was ever about, so I'm not surprised.

And Kenzer, the Grammys were never about the 'art side of music'. That's like saying Miss America was once about true beauty and intelligence. Any time you give an award for something, it's a kind of sellout already.

In times like these (musically speaking), which come around all the time, I turn back to jazz, Todd Rundgren, early Pretenders and Chopin. They never let you down. The new good thing will come along soon enough; enjoy your time while you wait!