Monday, February 25, 2008

Music Monday


"And now, taking the floor for the first time as husband and wife..."

I never thought of Taylor Hicks' song, "The Right Place" as a good wedding song, but it really worked on Regis and Kelly last week.

I still cringe when I think of the song I chose for our first dance at our wedding reception. I have to do some 'splainin' before I tell you what it was. It was the 80's! It was a crazy time! The nation had been bitten by a country & western bug.

"Urban Cowboy" was out in theaters and everyone was tuning in to country stations. Add to that the fact that this little "Lawn Giland" (Long Island) girl was actually moving to Texas with her new husband right after the wedding.

We danced to Kenny Rogers, "Through the Years". I think the song is meant to be played at anniversary parties- not weddings- but I chose it because we had already been together for six years. I still think it was inappropriate and kind of fuddy-duddyish.

I told you mine, now you tell me yours.

2 comments:

Chicken And Waffles said...

That's nothing to be ashamed about, Miss Caryl! That's a rather sweet tale.

Well, since we eloped we didn't have a proper wedding song. However, in the cab enroute to the Justice of the Peace we heard Stevie Wonder's "Superstition." It was Friday the 13th so we considered that a very good omen.

BTW, I love "The Wedding Singer." It's one of those films I can watch over and over. It's so sweet. And well, there's all that fab 80s music that reminds me of my long past youth.

caryl said...

Yes, "The Wedding Singer". Love it! When Adam Sandler winks at the camera, it makes my heart go pitter-pat.